Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Metal curtain track?

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Usenet Nutter
wibbled on Sunday 14 February 2010 22:55

Hi,

I was going to ask why it needs to be metal but then I see you have
two 90 Degree Bends ( does that count as being a bend ?) and wondered
if you mean you want the curtains to go right in to the corners or
bend smoothly round the corners ? If the former then I can see why
you would want metal to get a tighter bend ( which will probably mean
the curtains will stick at the bends ) but if the latter then no
reason why plastic can't be used . What you do need tho is brackets
at the right distances ,closer than probably recommended .

Smooth bend, about 10-15cm radius at a guess.

No, I really want metal. The curtains *will* get abused by tugging (I just
know...) and if I put extra fixings in, they'll only go into PB which I've
always had variable results with. If I can span 40cm with metal mounted
direct to wood it'll be rock solid

It may be possible to mix top and back fixings - the window frame is wood,
but it's full of profiles so that depends on the exact geometry of the
brackets...

I replaced some plastic track recently.

I replaced it with some Harrison Drape metal track - the standard one,
not the ultra' one or whatever it's called. Where the hooks lip over the
track, like your standard plastic track.

Mine was just a straight run, but it says (and should be fine)in can
bent it for bays.

Is very nice and smooth, and feels like a much better job than plastic,
which hopefully will wear better long term. None of the plastic tracks
in this house - which are probably all some years old now work esp
smoothly now- even with cleaning and polish/silicone spray

Like the look of the first link though.
--
Chris French