Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" Chuck

On 2010-02-12, oldjag wrote:

I Picked up a used Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" chuck. *Seems to operate very
smoothly, but if you close it down to near 1/8", the jaws become
slack. *An internal acme type threaded screw moves the jaws in and
out, and when the chuck is set to less than about 0.135", it reaches
the end of it's engagement. *It's easy to reengage the screw, and it
works fine on larger diameters, but this seems wrong. *Is this normal
for this chuck?

* * * * It should not be.

* * * * * * * * *I have a 1/32" to 1/2" Albrecht and it does not have
this issue with drills below it's minimum, ie the jaw screw does not
disengage at it's min diam. setting. *Can it be adjusted or is the
screw damaged?

* * * * Is it possible that someone re-ground the jaws' mating surfaces
to deal with wear, and this results in them extending too far out?
Perhaps even someone put jaws for a 1/2" chuck in the 5/8" one?

* * * * Good Luck,

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

That's a thought, I'll have a look too see if they have been ground.
I think the jaws in the larger chuck look wider, but I need to verify.