Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" Chuck

I Picked up a used Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" chuck. Seems to operate very
smoothly, but if you close it down to near 1/8", the jaws become
slack. An internal acme type threaded screw moves the jaws in and
out, and when the chuck is set to less than about 0.135", it reaches
the end of it's engagement. It's easy to reengage the screw, and it
works fine on larger diameters, but this seems wrong. Is this normal
for this chuck? I have a 1/32" to 1/2" Albrecht and it does not have
this issue with drills below it's minimum, ie the jaw screw does not
disengage at it's min diam. setting. Can it be adjusted or is the
screw damaged?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"oldjag" wrote in message
I Picked up a used Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" chuck. Seems to operate very
smoothly, but if you close it down to near 1/8", the jaws become
slack. An internal acme type threaded screw moves the jaws in and
out, and when the chuck is set to less than about 0.135", it reaches
the end of it's engagement. It's easy to reengage the screw, and it
works fine on larger diameters, but this seems wrong. Is this normal
for this chuck? I have a 1/32" to 1/2" Albrecht and it does not have
this issue with drills below it's minimum, ie the jaw screw does not
disengage at it's min diam. setting. Can it be adjusted or is the
screw damaged?

It's because it's a METRIC 1/8"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:35:46 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

It's because it's a METRIC 1/8"

I thought the metric 1/8" was 118 thou...

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-12, oldjag wrote:
I Picked up a used Albrecht 1/8" to 5/8" chuck. Seems to operate very
smoothly, but if you close it down to near 1/8", the jaws become
slack. An internal acme type threaded screw moves the jaws in and
out, and when the chuck is set to less than about 0.135", it reaches
the end of it's engagement. It's easy to reengage the screw, and it
works fine on larger diameters, but this seems wrong. Is this normal
for this chuck?

It should not be.

I have a 1/32" to 1/2" Albrecht and it does not have
this issue with drills below it's minimum, ie the jaw screw does not
disengage at it's min diam. setting. Can it be adjusted or is the
screw damaged?

Is it possible that someone re-ground the jaws' mating surfaces
to deal with wear, and this results in them extending too far out?
Perhaps even someone put jaws for a 1/2" chuck in the 5/8" one?

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 12, 11:53*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
On 2010-02-12, oldjag wrote:

[...]

* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

That's a thought, I'll have a look too see if they have been ground.
I think the jaws in the larger chuck look wider, but I need to verify.