Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default oland vs. Easy Rougher-style tool

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 22:02:08 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I use a few 3/8", but mostly 1/4".. Oland definitely knew what he was doing..

Local machine tooling companies or MSCdirect or others sell M42
(better than M2 which is better than normal HSS).

Molly steel is great - trade name is MOMAX for the 'HSS' cutter.

They are available from 1/8" to 3/4" in my shop - but likely much
larger for big shops. e.g. cannon or stone columns.

Martin

Michael Koblic wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in
message
In article ,
mac davis wrote:

and the other is smaller, uses a 1/4" HSS cutter and is usually used
at a
shearing angle to shape and hollow..

Nothing says you can't make an Oland for 1/2" or even 3/4" toolbits -
other than the bits cost more unless you hit a good machinist estate
sale.

Like he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7622662651932/

and the next few pics.