Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Turkeys Voting for Christmas -- was The Lancet's Vaccine Retraction -- A medical journal's role in the autism scare

wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:51:47 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:46:11 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:40:56 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:55:11 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

I saw one exec claim that there were something like 8
confirmed defective parts (pedal pivots dragging or sticking)
out of 2 million.

The Toyota brand has killed or injured more people in the last
decade wih this defect than every other maunfacturer combined.

That seems highly unlikely. Got any cites?

NPR here in LA had an hour on this last week.

SHAPIRO: What, specifically, is the committee looking at here?

LANGFITT: Well, they're asking for lots of documents. And what
they've said, is they want to know when Toyota and the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration first learned about these
potential safety problems and what they did to investigate and
try to resolve them. Now the committee said this in a statement,
I'm kind of quoting here, our government figures show nearly
twice as many people died in Toyotas from sudden acceleration
problems in the last decade than in cars from all other
automakers combined. So thats another thing theyre really very
interested in, is the number and the volume and how many of
those are Toyotas.

http://www.npr.mobi/templates/story/...ryId=123098947.

Well, there you go. The guy said he was "kind of quoting", and I
can't find anything to back up his recollection.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/

J.R.C. (above): "The Toyota brand has killed or injured more people
in the last decade with this defect than every other manufacturer
combined."

By posting a link to the NHTSA site, are you trying to say that one
can find evidence of your assertion there?

You can get the testimony of any hearing, reports and a lot of other
information.

Sure. But the data needs to be mined, and I don't see how that mining
could ever support Lingfiit's claim.

It isn't either his claim or mine.
It's something that was given in testimony at the hearings he attended.
I should have poined that out in my original post.

--
John R. Carroll