Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Turkeys Voting for Christmas -- was The Lancet's VaccineRetraction -- A medical journal's role in the autism scare

On Feb 5, 6:25*am, "John R. Carroll" wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 4, 1:41 pm, "John R. Carroll" wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:50:27 -0800, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:
snip
I wonder if these turkey's EVER think before they speak. I'd be mad
as hell if I were a Toyota shareholder right about now.
My tax payments would have just enabled one of my competitors to
mess with sales figures and the valuation of my equity.

--
John R. Carroll
===========

They aren't necessarily George but you know, LaHood runs the DOT and
they could easily have taken official action if they thought lives
were significantly at risk.

It now appears Toyota's accelerator and brake problems go far
deeper than a too thick floor mat or excessively "value analysed"
gas peddles.

Their entire "fly by wire" vehicle computer control system
appears to have software bugs.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/as...rius.complaint....

Tokyo, Japan (CNN) -- Without issuing a recall of its iconic
Prius hybrid vehicles, Toyota said Thursday a software glitch is
to blame for braking problems in the 2010 model.
snip
The company changed its braking system software in January as
part of what it called "constant quality improvements," but did
not say what it would do about vehicles manufactured before then.

Toyota officials described the problem as a "disconnect" in the
vehicle's complex anti-lock brake system (ABS) that causes less
than a one-second lag. With the delay, a vehicle going 60 mph
will have traveled nearly another 90 feet before the brakes begin
to take hold.

The braking isn't what lags George. It's the ABS control.
CNN makes it sound as though a vehicle is going to travel 90' before
the brakes come on.
That isn't the case. You might, however, travel 90' with one or more
of the wheels locked before the ABS system cycles.
That wouldn't be good.

Let's all tilt at windmills, shall we?

John...it sounds like you love your money more than you love your
family.

A safety defect is a safety defect.

OK then.
Why didn't the DOT do something?
They still haven't.

It is unfortunate that you have lost money on Toyota but it palls
compared to the loss of life.

I haven't, not on Toyota.

--
John R. Carroll- Hide quoted text -

Then why the focus on Toyota's stock price?

And you had nothing to say about GM or Chrysler's stock price drops
earlier?

TMT

TMT