Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default My Shed and I - Partition Wall - Materials

On Feb 5, 4:28*pm, HappyHunter wrote:

Any help appreciated. I'd like to go into Jewsons with at least some
idea of what I want(?)/need.

Ohhhhh my other worry/though. I think the guy said today that the studs
tend to come in 4.8m lengths. I take it, when working out what I need,
it's better to plan for your studs (and head/sole plates), being in one
piece ?

semi-necessary. You can screw offcuts together, but its quite a bit
better to use continuous lengths.

if its inside, on a raised floor, and doesnt get wetted often then KD
whitewood's fine, and the cheapest. No need for planing / treating /
CLS / ALS. If you want to go even cheaper and dont worry about looks
you could use warped timber from an auction. If youre really brassic
you can use scrap offcuts screwed together.

Timber size? Its like asking how long's string. Anything from 2x4 even
down to 2x2 if you must. Don't forget that with 2x2 your skin timber
will add a little to the strength.

Skin? Ply, OSB or green chipboard. Ply type? If its to resist wetting,
shuttering ply. If it never gets wet, the cheapest will do. Chip's
much cheaper than ply.

Stud spacing? If money's tight you can go for 2' spacing instead of
16".

2x1's fine for lining. Treated as it'll get wet. No need to be planed.

NT