Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 04:35:57 +0000 someone who may be Grimly
Curmudgeon wrote this:-

Fit a 16A socket as a spur above one of your normal sockets - as it's a
ring, it's good. Or run a radial from the CU.

Only if the spur is suitably protected with a 16A circuit breaker.

Oh, ffs, need I spell that out?

I think so, which is why I went to the trouble of typing it out.

I have seen a number spurs which were not properly protected. Almost
certainly installed by people who thought they knew what they were
doing.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54