Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Bathroom GFCI with no ground?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 3, 8:39 pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
DerbyDad03 typed:

On Feb 3, 4:13 pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 3, 3:29 pm, Mark wrote:
Use GFCI because it operates on the 'difference' in current
between live and neutral. If someone did get a contact or drop
the hair dryer in the wet metal bath tub any conseuent current
likely to trip the GFCI safely.-

BTW...not only is it OK to (and you should) replace the ungrounded
bathroom receptacle with a GFCI, it is also code compliant to replace
any 2 prong, ungrounded receptacle with a 3 pronged receptacle as long
as that receptacle is protected by a GFCI and marked as having No
Equipment Ground.

Downstream outlets are also tagged "GFCI protected".

Avoid connecting the outlet grounds together on downstream grounded
outlets where a ground is not present.

For example, if you have a circuit full of daisy chained 2 pronged,
ungrounded receptacles, replace the first one in the circuit with a
GFCI and wire all the downstream 3 prong, yet still ungrounded
receptacles off of the load side.
It's a fairly common practice and allows for the use of three pronged
cords in "older" homes.

NO, it does NOT "allow" use of 3-wire equipment!! If a 3-wire piece of
equipment is plugged into an outlet, the earth ground in that case DOES need
to be present. THAT is why the outlets must be labeled as having NO ground!
It's to prevent just that kind of accident waiting to happen.

HTH,

Twayne

Perhaps we need some clarification here.

We are talking about people protection only. We're not discussing
whether the absence of a ground will be a detriment to the operation
of the equipment.

It is my understanding that the GFCI will protect the user should
there be current leakage to ground within the device.

If there is any type of short to ground within the device then there
will be a differential between the current on the hot and the current
on neutral and the GFCI will trip and the user will be protected.

Why else would the NEC allow for the use of a 3 prong outlet on an
ungrounded circuit if they didn't expect you plug a 3 prong cord into
it?

Seems like that should have been obvious to Twayne. If 3 wire plugs were
not allowed the NEC would require a 2 wire GFCI outlet - which it
doesn't. The NEC explicitly allows 'grounded outlet' GFCIs on 2 wire
circuits, and as you said above, allows the GFCI to protect conventional
grounded receptacles downstream.

--
bud--

You'll note that code says it must be labeled as No Equipment Ground,
not simply No Ground.

For the safety of us all, I won't mind if you correct me.