Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Turkeys Voting for Christmas -- was The Lancet's Vaccine Retraction -- A medical journal's role in the autism scare

Ed Huntress wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:20:03 -0800, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:
snip

The government ordinarily exercises great restraint in these
matters Ed. Something else disturbing in the weekend news was
Obama/Holder's statement that we were going to try, convict,
and then execute criminal defendants. He's contaminated the
entire US jury pool. WTF?

Free speech. g I don't think that jury pools are contaminated
by a statement by a prosecutor, no matter how high up he is.
Prosecuters argue for execution right in their faces, while
they're sitting in the jury box.

Presidents of the Unted States don't actually have that right as
a practical
matter Ed.

What did Obama say?

He was answering a reporters question in, I believe, an interview
and he said we were going to try, convict and execute the guy that
was going to be
moved to New York for trial. I saw the video but can't remember
where. I think either "Face the Nation" or "This Week"
He said it just like that.
He can't do that.

I can't find it. What I saw was Gibbs saying, on CNN's "State of the
Union," that he was going to "meet his maker," and that "he's likely
to be executed."

Bad news, but Gibbs is just a press guy.

Anyway, it's something that I don't like to hear, but the specific
effect it will have on a trial sort of...depends. If Obama said it
himself (a stupidity that he's not likely to engage), that could
wreck the case. With Gibbs....'dunno.

Obama: U.S. Will Convict, Execute Mohammed

"In one of a series of TV interviews during his trip to Asia, Mr.
Obama said
those offended by the legal privileges given to Mohammed by virtue of
getting a civilian trial rather than a military tribunal won't find
it "offensive at all when he's convicted and when the death penalty
is applied
to him.""

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5694765.shtml

And yeah, he quickly "explained" his remark but so what?
Any half assed defense guy worth his salt is going right after this.

g Ok, we'll see where it gets him.

It gets him in a dunce cap in my book.
It's as dumb as making crude remarks when you are miked because you thought
the mike was off.
There might be real consequences in this case. Some bells can't be
unrung....

--
John R. Carroll