Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On Feb 4, 1:00*am, Lurch wrote:
On 04/02/2010 00:26, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: In ,
* * *wrote:
On 03/02/2010 20:20, Frank Erskine wrote:
Does it need to be connected by plug and socket at all?

I've just read the whole thread looking for a slightly less newsgroupy
response before I suggested ditching the plug and socket!

I'll just add the 'I agree' onto yours.

Since the plug is provided, an unswitched socket would have really no
disadvantages over hard wiring - and some advantages. *Even if it was
rarely unplugged.

Well no, but I would fit a switched one as the future usage cannot be
determined, and there is a strong feeling that a interlocked socket
should be used due to the shutter issue.

Unless it really needs to be truly portable, easiest, cheapest and
definitely compliant method of installing the kiln is to hard wire it
into an isolator on a new circuit run from the shed CU.

Years ago we used to run 15A continuous loads on standard 13A plugs.
With metal clad sockets (MK IIRC) and plugs without sleeved pins they
were fine, no melting or fuse popping. But when sleeved pin MK plugs
were used they melted. I'm not recommending this of course, just for
curiosity.

NT