Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Test for young people

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:54:59 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amjers always Xrays dogs, to look for house keys. Before he shoots them.

I would never shoot a dog, other than in self defense. They are just
dogs, it isn't their fault, even if they are one of those helpless
annoying yapping breeds. (Hmm, sounds like some posters on this group?)

If you live out in the boonies, a roving dog is one of the few legal
effective defenses you can have for property when nobody is home.
(Short of armoring the place with pull-down steel curtains and such.)
Noise is irrelevant without neighbors to hear it, and police response
times can be half an hour or more, even if your alarm system calls
them. (Something a cell phone jammer and cutting the wires at the pole
can prevent.) So smashing a window to get in becomes a non-event.

--
aem sends....

I remember a story about a guy who had a pet black panther. A burglar
was down on his knees going through the owner's dresser when the cat
laid its head on his shoulder and purred. The owner found an unconscious
burglar with his big black panther licking his face.

TDD

Should I bother to say, 'Cite, please?' Smells like urban legend to me.
Most places, exotic animals are illegal without special permit. And the
care and upkeep (and insurance) is so expensive that getting robbed
every couple of years would be cheaper by far.

Well, I DO know of a case where a couple owned a large Rotteweiler.
They had a demand feeding setup for the dog, and a proximity actuated
security doggy door so the dog could feed himself and let himself in
and out when they were gone. They went away for a week's vacation,
leaving the dog to watch the house. A theif decided to break in one of
the first nights they were gone. The dog cornered him in the laundry
room where he could keep a watch on him and still eat, and could hang
his rear end out the doggy door to do his business. Didn't touch the
guy, but every time the guy moved, he went for him. When the
homeowners came home at the end of the week the guy was almost dead in
the corner.