Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Motor Removal

"-MIKE-" wrote
On 2/3/10 5:08 PM, mikenj wrote:
On Feb 3, 2:49 pm, wrote:
I have a Sears Model Number 113.197150 radial arm saw that is late
eighties/early nineties vintage. The blade jammed into a piece of wood
and now the motor hums, but does not spin when I turn it on. I have
replaced the capacitor, but no luck. I wanted to take the motor off
and have an electric motor shop take a look at it, but I can't figure
out how to disconnect the power cord from the arm. Do I need to take
the arm apart to get to the wire connections or do I try to take the
motor apart? I can't figure out how to take the arm apart to get to
the wires.

I did find the diagrams on the Sears website. No luck in showing how
to take the arm apart to get to the wires. I also did try to spin the
blade while starting with no luck. Allen says that I may have to take
the wires out from the motor side, but it's not obvious how to take it
apart. I think the arm would be a safer bet, but haven't found the
magic entry point to take it apart.

Are my posts not showing up?

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=113.197150

--

Those are nice diagrams. You can zoom in on the exploded views and print
them out. Very nice if you want to tear into something and fix it.

But of course, there are some of us, who find this sort of thing to be
outside their comfort zone. Personally, myself, I can do it. But I don't
like to. And I make mistakes at this sort of thing. And have had parts left
over after final assembly.

I can design things. I can build things. Not so good at fixing things.