Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:33:48 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

JP Coetzee wrote :
We have a new kiln rated at 3.6kW. It requires a single-phase supply.
3600/230=15.7A. It has 16A 2P+E plug on it like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:16A-plug.jpg

In the shed I have a 30A ring with standard 13A dual-gang switched
sockets. Can I use one of these:
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/47166.jpg ?

If not, what are those connectors for? And what is the best way to
power the kiln?

There is a consumer unit in the shed with space for another breaker.

Many thanks.

You need to add another breaker rated 16amp and wire from that to a
dedicated 16amp socket and fit a 16amp plug (like that of your URL, but
a plug rather than the socket shown) to the kiln. The 16amp with an
attached 13amp (in the URL) is to enable a caravan to be plugged in to
the mains at home.

Does it need to be connected by plug and socket at all?

I'd be tempted to fit a metal-clad isolator adjacent to the kiln, then
hard-wire the flexible cord from the kiln through a gland on the
isolator.

--
Frank Erskine