Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On 03/02/2010 19:03, David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:55:22 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

There is no requirement for emergency switching though.
If you're leaning on the kiln and getting burned, disconnecting
the supply quickly isn't going to make any difference.

A point I was going to make. Emergency switching is essentially a
means for unskilled persons to turn off some bit of equipment which
can be stopped quickly from causing a danger, a drilling machine or
lathe being an example, largely things with motors which can rip
into human bodies. This might best be provided on the machine
itself, at the starter rather than on some out of the way wiring
point, where what is provided is a means of isolation, so that
skilled persons can work on the wiring to the equipment.

Isn't there a point to having it remote as well, so people seeing fred
being chopped up from the other side of the room can do something about
it? Yes, it depends enormously on the circumstances, but I would think
having a stop switch at eg near the door as well as the machine itself
would be appropriate.
(and of course this still doesn't apply to the kiln).