Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:55:22 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

There is no requirement for emergency switching though.
If you're leaning on the kiln and getting burned, disconnecting
the supply quickly isn't going to make any difference.

A point I was going to make. Emergency switching is essentially a
means for unskilled persons to turn off some bit of equipment which
can be stopped quickly from causing a danger, a drilling machine or
lathe being an example, largely things with motors which can rip
into human bodies. This might best be provided on the machine
itself, at the starter rather than on some out of the way wiring
point, where what is provided is a means of isolation, so that
skilled persons can work on the wiring to the equipment.

In this case I understand that the kiln has a switch on it, which
can be used as functional switching. If, for some reason, the kiln
or the socket has burst into flames then I certainly wouldn't try to
operate a switch which was beside the kiln at the socket, I value my
health too much, I would be heading towards the consumer unit to
switch everything off.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54