Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
David Hansen wrote:
Fixed loads of up to 16A, protected by a suitable fuse or circuit
breaker, can be connected to ring mains. A socket is simply a means
of providing a connection point which does not need someone with
electrical skills to connect/disconnect the equipment.

Are you absolutely certain about this?

Yes.

I've never seen a device intended for this sort of use. FCUs are
limited to 13 amps. Indeed it's now frowned upon to connect any
sustained fixed load - like say an immersion - to a ring circuit, even
within the 13 amp limit.

Not saying it's a good idea, but it's allowed, with a fuse
or breaker up to 16A.

Connecting the primary electric heating system (space or water)
to a ring is not allowed though. Supplementary heating and
small water heaters are allowed.

Then I'd say a kiln would come under this in practice if not in name -
since it's likely to be on for long periods.

I've no idea what the warm-up period and duty cycle are,
but you could well be right. This is not the case for a
domestic oven though, as warm-up is usually quite quick,
and then the duty cycle is low.

--
Andrew Gabriel