Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_2_] Dave Osborne[_2_] is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On 03/02/2010 15:50, Tim Watts wrote:
Dave
wibbled on Wednesday 03 February 2010 15:08

On 03/02/2010 10:20, Tim Watts wrote:
James Salisburynntp.dsl.pipex.com @invalid
wibbled on Wednesday 03 February 2010 09:41

Hi,
The unit you have found is for plugging a caravan in. Something like
this is needed
http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/sq16...t-interlocked-
switch-240v/dp/1017260
and fit a 16A breaker and rcd as required.

I should have added that. IEE Regs (17th) preclude fitting unshuttered
sockets in a domestic premises (although I wouldn't worry too much for a
workshop *if* the socket were nice and high) - just in case you have
(visiting) kids...

Not so, according to OSG Appendix 8. BS4343 socket outlets are allowed
and interlocking/shuttering is not prescribed.

Reg 553.1.4: "Every socket outlet for household and similar use shall be of
the shuttered type, and for an AC installation, shall preferably be of a
type complying with BS1363."

OK.

As I said, I wouldn't get too hung up for a workshop, but the intention is
clear - stop kiddies sticking things in...

Agreed.

Interlocking is the best way IMHO to achieve the spirit, but ensuring either
unreachable sockets or a locked workshop would be other ways.

Agreed.

However, unfortunately, "unreachable sockets" are generally proscribed
and in this case would likely break one or more provisions of Reg 537
(Isolation and Switching) e.g. 537.4.2.5 "The means of operation shall
be readily accessible...".

Also, not so much a locked workshop, but a padlocked isolating switch
would be in order again as per various provisions of Reg 537.

===

OK, the Regs and the OSG are at odds then.

In the Regs it hinges on the interpretation of "household and similar use".

Reg. 553.1.3 allows for IEC309 connectors for low voltage circuits, but

Reg. 553.1.4 then effectively precludes them for "household and similar
use" because they are not shuttered.

However, the OSG recognises IEC309 connectors on a 16A radial circuit as
a standard circuit arrangement for household and similar use, but does
not prescribe interlocking in lieu of shuttering.

Section 20 of the Regs does not define shuttering and the word is not
indexed either, so unless someone can point to a regulation (or BS)
where shuttering is further defined, we would have to fall back on
regulation 120.3 and make the argument that interlocking is just as safe
as shuttering and may be implemented in lieu with impunity.

Cheers,
DaveyOZ