Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

Scrump
wibbled on Wednesday 03 February 2010 13:56

What does "interlocked" mean?

It was explained in another post. To withdraw the plug the supply
must be switched off. This prevents someone unplugging it on load.
Arcs from 16A equipment are not too bad, but this sort of socket
goes up to 125A, which would be much more impressive if not somewhat
frightening.

So if I just fit an RCD and an interlocked socket, I would have to
turn the supply off at the RCD to withdraw the plug? It's not enough
to turn off the switch on the kiln?

No, you turn the switch off at the socket (it's integrated).

See he

http://www.gwsupplies.co.uk/p/5467/i...p44+iec309.htm

In fact, that is one of the more sensible prices you will see...

Another thing that is useful, is you can often put a padlock through the
isolator to prevent anyone else turning it on when you don't want them to.

--
Tim Watts