Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

Scrump
wibbled on Wednesday 03 February 2010 13:35

But I'll add, as the OP is starting out to install new kit, I would
strongly recommend interlocked commando sockets - this is about as bomb
proof as it gets...

I will put in a new RCD + spur + single socket. What does
"interlocked" mean?

I mentioned a few posts back:

If the plug is out, you cannot move the switch to "On";

If the plug is in, you can now switch On;

Once "On", you cannot withdraw the plug (which is good also as it prevents
any possibility of the plug being half out and making bad contact and
getting hot.

Downside, is you can't yank the plug out by the flex in an emergency (but
you generally cannot with commandos as on the other non-interlocked
versions, the lid retains the plug). So the machine, if dangerous, should
have suitable emergency stop button(s) or isolators, but I guess they mostly
do...

Beware - these can be stupidly expensive until you google around, then you
can get them for sensible money.

--
Tim Watts