Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Osborne[_2_] Dave Osborne[_2_] is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On 03/02/2010 10:20, Tim Watts wrote:
James Salisburynntp.dsl.pipex.com @invalid
wibbled on Wednesday 03 February 2010 09:41

Hi,
The unit you have found is for plugging a caravan in. Something like
this is needed
http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/sq16...t-interlocked-

switch-240v/dp/1017260
and fit a 16A breaker and rcd as required.

I should have added that. IEE Regs (17th) preclude fitting unshuttered
sockets in a domestic premises (although I wouldn't worry too much for a
workshop *if* the socket were nice and high) - just in case you have
(visiting) kids...

Not so, according to OSG Appendix 8. BS4343 socket outlets are allowed
and interlocking/shuttering is not prescribed.