Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

On Feb 3, 2:21*pm, JP Coetzee wrote:
So if I just fit an RCD and an interlocked socket, I would have to
turn the supply off at the RCD to withdraw the plug? It's not enough
to turn off the switch on the kiln?

Post a picture of your workshop/shed CU (Consumer Unit).

- You need to add a 16A circuit breaker
- You need to run cable to a 16A 230V Interlocked Socket
- You need to fit the 16A 230V Interlocked Socket to the wall

An Interlocked Socket is simply this:
- 16A Round Socket
- Lever or Rotary Switch

The Plug can not be *physically* removed from the Socket unless the
Switch is OFF.
The Switch can not *physically* be turned ON until a Plug is inserted
into the Socket.
The Interlock is a mechanical device for safety, you do not need to
touch RCD, Circuit Breakers, Fuses, etc.

I notice Discount Electrical do not show a picture of the Interlocked
Socket.
The compact socket looks like the following (joint the link back up in
notepad):

http://cgi.ebay.it/GEWISS-COMBIBLOC-...209224001r6397

They do a non-angled version on the www.discount-electrical.co.uk
website, just search for 16A 230V Interlocked Socket - I believe there
are 2-3 of them (probably a vertical, horizontal and angled compact
version). You need a switched 16A socket anyway just in case of any
problem and price wise £12-20 is as good as you are going to get.