Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

In article
,
JP Coetzee wrote:
We have a new kiln rated at 3.6kW. It requires a single-phase supply.
3600/230=15.7A. It has 16A 2P+E plug on it like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:16A-plug.jpg

In the shed I have a 30A ring with standard 13A dual-gang switched
sockets. Can I use one of these: http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/47166.jpg
?

3.6kW works out at 15 amps even at 240 rather than the nominal 230v. At
230v it's approx 15.5 amp. So well over 13 amps which is the absolute
maximum for a 13 amp socket, strangely. ;-) Hence the device not being
fitted with a 13 amp plug...

If not, what are those connectors for?

They are an industrial connector used for all sorts. Machinery etc. Even
caravan site connectors. Anything where 13 amps isn't enough - or you
require a more rugged connector.

And what is the best way to
power the kiln?

There is a consumer unit in the shed with space for another breaker.

If the supply is up to it fit a radial from a new 16 amp breaker to the
correct socket. Ordinary 2.5 TW&E should be fine for a short cable run.
TLC etc will supply a suitable socket for the fitted plug.

But do make sure the supply to the shed is up to it. Which would normally
mean it is greater than 2.5mm.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW