Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

"JP Coetzee" wrote in message
We have a new kiln rated at 3.6kW. It requires a single-phase supply.
3600/230=15.7A. It has 16A 2P+E plug on it like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:16A-plug.jpg

In the shed I have a 30A ring with standard 13A dual-gang switched
sockets. Can I use one of these:
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/47166.jpg
?

If not, what are those connectors for?

Just because a socket is built to carry up to 16 amps - it doesn't have to.
Some people may have low powered equipment with that type of plug and want
to use a 13 amp socket.

Your kiln will blow the 13 amp fuse.

I suggest you wire up a spur (radial) directly to the fuse box. Someone with
more knowledge will advise on cable size and ratings.

What is feeding the shed fuse box? It may already be limited by the circuit
feeding it.