Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Salisbury[_3_] James Salisbury[_3_] is offline

Default Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket?

JP Coetzee wrote:
We have a new kiln rated at 3.6kW. It requires a single-phase supply.
3600/230=15.7A. It has 16A 2P+E plug on it like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:16A-plug.jpg

In the shed I have a 30A ring with standard 13A dual-gang switched
sockets. Can I use one of these: http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/47166.jpg
?

If not, what are those connectors for? And what is the best way to
power the kiln?

There is a consumer unit in the shed with space for another breaker.

Many thanks.

Hi,
The unit you have found is for plugging a caravan in. Something like
this is needed
http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/sq16...40v/dp/1017260
and fit a 16A breaker and rcd as required.