Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Toyota

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:16:59 -0500, "The Henchman"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
That's the last thing I'd want to do, palm it up to neutral.
I know, that's what they say on the radio. Because the
engine would race to wide open throttle, and throw a rod.

I would rather have a thrown rod than a thrown me.

I heard some earlier Toyotas, the pedal was catching on the
floor mat. This sounds like a return spring is snapping.

It does sound like the spring is snapping, but how long would it take
for even the dumbest mechanic to figure that out. It must not be a
broken spring.

You are supposed to palm it into neutral. Modern cars have governors that
ensure you don't race up the rpm.

Is this true of diesels too? There was a case on the People's Court
where 3 said and no one disagreed, that if for some reason the fuel
pump doesn't turn off, and let's assume the car is in neutral, the
engine will just run faster and faster until it breaks up.

Two said that the only way to stop it is to pinch the fuel line
closed.

I don't know if the car was new or old.

My V6 locks about 4500 RPM, unless it
determines a normal power band, like exiting a hiway offramp. If you just
punch the throttle in 3rd 4th or 5th, oftentimes the car will govern itself
until it determines what the hell you want to do.

You can downshift your automatic tranny into a lower gear if needed, like on
a hill or somesuch but if the rpm's are too high to do it on the fly, the
car's transmission computer module will not allow a downshift and lock you
from doing that.

YOu also can't actually go into park until the speed drops very low.