Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default OT Toyota

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
That's the last thing I'd want to do, palm it up to neutral.
I know, that's what they say on the radio. Because the
engine would race to wide open throttle, and throw a rod.

I heard some earlier Toyotas, the pedal was catching on the
floor mat. This sounds like a return spring is snapping.

You are supposed to palm it into neutral. Modern cars have governors that
ensure you don't race up the rpm. My V6 locks about 4500 RPM, unless it
determines a normal power band, like exiting a hiway offramp. If you just
punch the throttle in 3rd 4th or 5th, oftentimes the car will govern itself
until it determines what the hell you want to do.

You can downshift your automatic tranny into a lower gear if needed, like on
a hill or somesuch but if the rpm's are too high to do it on the fly, the
car's transmission computer module will not allow a downshift and lock you
from doing that.

I drive a POS Sebring and it does all this.