Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Rotometals

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:17:49 -0600, Norman Yarvin
wrote:

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

There's another in a Portland ME art press run by a guy named David
Wolfe. My daughter works for him occasionally in return for access to
his shop for her own projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZimWIe8sLA

There are a couple of excellent videos showing the operation of Linotype
machines at:

http://www.archive.org/details/Typesett1960

and

http://www.archive.org/details/Typesett1960_2

They're downloadable in full resolution, and explain quite a bit of how
the machines worked. I found the use of multiple wedges to expand the
line, in order to justify it, particularly ingenious.

Wow, what a great film. I'll have to download the mp4 and watch it
again. I have an interest in this stuff beyond the obvious mechanical
appeal.

I had a friend in high school who was determined to enter the
printer's apprentice program at the Boston Herald, despite our best
efforts to talk him out of it. It was obvious to even a bunch of HS
seniors in 1970 that it was a dead end.

My father was a dot etcher in offset printing for 40 years. Not long
after he retired I was building automation for manufacturing the
consumables for one of the first direct-to-press offset systems.

--
Ned Simmons