Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rotometals

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:58:29 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Przemek Klosowski" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:15:59 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

I doubt if there is a working Linotype machine in most states in the
country. I don't know of a single magazine that uses it for anything;
the last newspaper I knew of that used it was over 20 years ago.

There's one in the Baltimore Museum of Industry (geez, R.C.M content).
A retired guy who demonstrates it worked on it in a newspaper, and told
me that they replaced them in the 70s.

Yep, someone else posted a note about that one in the Baltimore museum.
I'm
tempted to stop in there.

And, yes, most of them disappeared in the '70s. I mentioned here before
that
I went to work for McGraw-Hill Publications Co. in '74. I had been hired a
couple of months earlier and they had six Linotype machines operating in a
secondary office. When I started work they had all been moved to the
warehouse, replaced by a Wang computerized phototype ("cold type") system.
That was for promotions and mail solicitations for 26 magazines and
newsletters. The publications themselves were typeset on a much fancier
computerized typesetting system, which replaced another, larger bunch of
Linotypes at about the same time, or slightly earlier. They also handled
the
typesetting for McGraw-Hill books.

Those Linotypes and the multi-million-dollar phototype systems can now be
replaced with a desktop PC and a high-quality laser printer. In fact,
though, the whole system has gone away in most publishing houses. The
writers write on computers; the editors edit on computers; the art
directors
compose pages on computers; and the output is reproduced directly onto the
printing plates. Along the way they'll print out some proofs for
proofreading, color-checking, etc.

From reading newspapers, I suspect that the last proof reader retired
about ten years ago.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I sometimes think that the only ones still employed are working in medical
communications. *Everything* in medicine that might expose a company to
liability -- which is virtually everything -- goes through two proofreaders.
And they're among the best I've seen in my 35 years in the business.

As for the rest of publishing, I think you're right. It makes my teeth hurt
to read expensive books and to find errors, which my old editor's eyes tend
to be drawn to like a pig finding truffles. Sometimes I think they aren't
even using spellchuckers.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 04:38:35 +0000 (UTC), Przemek Klosowski
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:15:59 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

I doubt if there is a working Linotype machine in most states in the
country. I don't know of a single magazine that uses it for anything;
the last newspaper I knew of that used it was over 20 years ago.

There's one in the Baltimore Museum of Industry (geez, R.C.M content).
A retired guy who demonstrates it worked on it in a newspaper, and told
me that they replaced them in the 70s.

There's another in a Portland ME art press run by a guy named David
Wolfe. My daughter works for him occasionally in return for access to
his shop for her own projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZimWIe8sLA

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:15:59 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

I doubt if there is a working Linotype machine in most states in the
country. I don't know of a single magazine that uses it for anything;
the last newspaper I knew of that used it was over 20 years ago.

There's one in the Baltimore Museum of Industry (geez, R.C.M content).
A retired guy who demonstrates it worked on it in a newspaper, and told
me that they replaced them in the 70s.

There's another in a Portland ME art press run by a guy named David
Wolfe. My daughter works for him occasionally in return for access to
his shop for her own projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZimWIe8sLA

Thanks, Ned. That was very interesting. I remember as a kid, going
to the back door of the local newspaper and watching the linotype
machines work. Boy was that NOISY! I also used to gather up pieces
of type and take them home and play with them. It never ceases to
amaze me how someone could sit down and design machines like that.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:01:53 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

From reading newspapers, I suspect that the last proof reader retired
about ten years ago.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I sometimes think that the only ones still employed are working in medical
communications. *Everything* in medicine that might expose a company to
liability -- which is virtually everything -- goes through two proofreaders.
And they're among the best I've seen in my 35 years in the business.

As for the rest of publishing, I think you're right. It makes my teeth hurt
to read expensive books and to find errors, which my old editor's eyes tend
to be drawn to like a pig finding truffles. Sometimes I think they aren't
even using spellchuckers.

One of our local reporters managed to brake the breaks on his car, or
something along that line. I suggested to him that spill chucker was
not his frond.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There used to be a restaurant in Hamilton Ontario, in the former
newspaper building. they had a lot of the old equipment on display,
including linotype machines. I don't know whether it is still there or
even remember the name from 30 years back.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:17:14 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

One of our local reporters managed to brake the breaks on his car, or
something along that line. I suggested to him that spill chucker was
not his frond.

Nor were any of his English teachers, Gerry.

--
It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from
his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

There's another in a Portland ME art press run by a guy named David
Wolfe. My daughter works for him occasionally in return for access to
his shop for her own projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZimWIe8sLA

There are a couple of excellent videos showing the operation of Linotype
machines at:

http://www.archive.org/details/Typesett1960

and

http://www.archive.org/details/Typesett1960_2

They're downloadable in full resolution, and explain quite a bit of how
the machines worked. I found the use of multiple wedges to expand the
line, in order to justify it, particularly ingenious.

--
Norman Yarvin http://yarchive.net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:17:49 -0600, Norman Yarvin
wrote:

There are a couple of excellent videos showing the operation of Linotype
machines at:

Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for those!

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:17:49 -0600, Norman Yarvin
wrote:

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

There's another in a Portland ME art press run by a guy named David
Wolfe. My daughter works for him occasionally in return for access to
his shop for her own projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZimWIe8sLA

There are a couple of excellent videos showing the operation of Linotype
machines at:

http://www.archive.org/details/Typesett1960

and

http://www.archive.org/details/Typesett1960_2

They're downloadable in full resolution, and explain quite a bit of how
the machines worked. I found the use of multiple wedges to expand the
line, in order to justify it, particularly ingenious.

Wow, what a great film. I'll have to download the mp4 and watch it
again. I have an interest in this stuff beyond the obvious mechanical
appeal.

I had a friend in high school who was determined to enter the
printer's apprentice program at the Boston Herald, despite our best
efforts to talk him out of it. It was obvious to even a bunch of HS
seniors in 1970 that it was a dead end.

My father was a dot etcher in offset printing for 40 years. Not long
after he retired I was building automation for manufacturing the
consumables for one of the first direct-to-press offset systems.

--
Ned Simmons