Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic azotic is offline

Default A test for young people

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"azotic" wrote in message

"Winston" wrote in message
I could buy a gallon of gas *today* for only 56c if I could
just find one of those 1971 dollars.

--Winston

Fortunatley gas is not included when calculating inflation so
your 1971 dollar is still worth a dollar according to the government.

Best Regards
Tom.

Neither of those statements is correct, Tom. Actually, gas *is* included
in the basic measure of inflation (CPI-U). The figures Iggy posted last
night include gas -- which inflated by 53% last year.

Without fuel or food, inflation last year was 1.7%. With fuel and food, it
was 2.7%. But food prices actually *declined* by 2.4%. All of the
difference between the 1.7% and 2.7% was gasoline prices, which is a
function of politics and the economies of foreign governments as much as
ours. That's why some measures don't include it. It's misleading for some
kinds of policy analysis.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

--
Ed Huntress

A little sarcasim Ed, personal consumer price index diverge from the
national average.

Best Regards
Tom.