Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default OT - iPad in the news today ...

On Jan 30, 2:22*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , Leon

wrote:
I watched with interest the Kindle however IMHO when compared to the Nook if
comes in second. *The Nook also allows PDF but also allows you to upgrade
memory with off the shelf products and you can also replace the battery
yourself when the time comes. *I see little desire for the current Sony.
The I-Pad seems to be more bang for your buck in so much that it appears to
be a better back lit color reader plus internet access and e-mail access
along with all the apps that can be added. *Still a netbook computer can do
all of that too, for a lot less.

Hmm. I can spend several hundreds of dollars to buy a device that
allows me to read an electronic text file I essentially RENT for a $10
fee and can have removed from said device at any time with no recourse,
or I can buy a BOOK for $10, read it, loan it to friends, and
ultimately resell it for a couple of bucks or donate it to a charitable
organization's book sale.

Hmm. I think I know where I'm going to end up going with this...

The Kindle and Nook have no attraction for me whatsoever, and my
reaction to the iPad is "meh." It doesn't seem to be more than a giant
iPod, and I've already got a couple of those, and I can put them in my
shirt pocket.

That's me in a nutshell. *Shoulder shrug* BFD....and "meh" suits it to
a t.
Jobs will sell a bezillion and I might end up with one waaaaaaaay down
the road. (I still don't own an iPod Touch (my kid does) or an iPhone)

Someone else mentioned the smell of a book. I'm there. I really like
books. My dad, as an accountant, had a client who was a genuine book
binder. As a kid, I used to love to watch the people cutting these
pieces of leather and then stamping gold leaf letters on the freshly
made covers. Then gilding the edges, which still amazes me to no end.
That place had a scent which I will never forget.
I have most of the books I like in hard cover. I seldom buy new, and I
would rather not read paperbacks. I have all of Vonnegut, Hawkins and
Le Carré (David John Moore Cornwell) an many others in prime
condition. I'm still looking for Ken Kesey's travelogue in hard cover.

I think it was The Swingman who made a point about being able to read
in the dark whilst the missus sleeps...and auto shut-off, those are
valid points. So I'm not baling on the idea, I'm just not horny enough
to drop the bucks. ( I would want a loaded one...and that's the same
money as some Festool kinda stuff....)