Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default OT - iPad in the news today ...

On 1/30/2010 11:58 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in news:4b63ec3c$0$5105
:

*snip*

In spite of all that, I doubt I'll be buying an iPad. I know I won't be
buying a Kindle. I prefer my books on real real paper, not on aetheric
vapours.

*snip*

Have you had a chance to read a book on a Kindle? It's not worth buying
yet, but the reading experience is quite good. (I want the DX model that
can display PDFs. Electronic manuals on a portable device would help quite
a bit when the computer's far away.)

I'm not impressed with the Kindle in the least. The Nook, because it is
more format options, would get the edge at the moment, but that
notwithstanding, neither of these johnny-come-lately's "get it", IMO.

In 1998 I purchased four, for our company's two tech personnel, as well
as myself and partner, of Nuvo Media's "Rocket eBook" to store and read
html tech documents, including all Internet RFC's, and DNS/BIND
documents ... it worked out very well for the next seven years and we
were still using them when we shut company down in 2005.

(I also used mine onstage a time or two for chord charts ...worked out
great on a dimly lit stage ... and to this day I read on it nightly, in
bed, getting all my content for the last ten years from Project Gutenberg)

Ideally, these thing should be like razors ... the device itself should
be free, and you buy the content.

They should all be non-proprietary as to format, allowing pdf, html,
and, _above all_, *user created* content to be used.

This will happen ... the problem now is freeing the archaic thought
process/business model of the "publishers" of the world.

That's why I think Apple's iTunes model, which showed music publishers
that another way of doing business was not going to put them out of
business, may play a pivotal role in the acceptance of these devices.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08