Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_52_] Steve[_52_] is offline

Default OT - iPad in the news today ...

On 2010-01-29 22:54:20 -0500, Mark & Juanita said:

Some other things not so cool:
1) No flash support

Flash is the largest cause of freezes in web browsing. Now, If we're
also going to kick about Apple's DRM controlling/limiting access to the
known world, it's worth noting that Flash is proprietary to Adobe.

Plus, Flash just generally sucks, even when used in other Abobe
products. http://adobegripes.tumblr.com/

As of yet, iPod on steroids is a fair summation of the first (and as
yet not on the market) generation iPad. It's not intended as a
computer; it's an information appliance that fits between two market
segments -- the smart phone and the laptop. And Apple has lined up 5
major publishers, and has brought a ray of hope to magazine and
newspaper publishers.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/various_ipad_thoughts
http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html
http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001592.html#001592

In spite of all that, I doubt I'll be buying an iPad. I know I won't be
buying a Kindle. I prefer my books on real real paper, not on aetheric
vapours.

But let's see how it shakes out.

BTW, Sun Microsystems (remember them?) is history.