Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default paint peels over wood putty fix

internaughtfull wrote in news:5eac98f3-
:

Hi,

I had some work done on a wooden porch and some dry rot
was replaced with durham's wood putty. It dried for one day then
was painted with valspar ultra latex. It gets wet and peels.

I repainted it and covered it with plastic to allow for drying but
it still peels.

Can I just scrape this and seal it with polyurethane then use
something like Kilz on it? It is a satin white and a small area
so perfect color matching is not that important. Or does the
peeling indicate something else.

thx,

itchy

I've used Durham's Water Putty outdoors successfully many times for such
things.

Not sure how it was done in your case but I:

- Dug out any rot and soft/damp wood. Instructions even say it
will absorb moisture.
- Covered (not sealed) and let dry out till I could feel no dampness.
This can take days sometimes.
- Fill with putty. Deep holes, do in layers.
- Let dry and finish to desired texture.
- PRIME
- Paint at least 2x.