Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default Is this an ink flow sensor? (Ink Jet printer)

On a sunny day (Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:08:14 -0800) it happened DaveC
wrote in
:

If those 6 pairs of solder pads are connected to 6 devices/components inside
the hose connectors, I wouldn't even have a WAG what they might be.

Those 6 pairs of solder pads connect to the 6 pairs of heavy wires (I think
they're probes, not simple conductors) that terminate inside the plastic ink
manifold:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2vdoa4m.jpg

If there were indeed components inside the manifold (LEDs, photodiodes, etc.)
they would be much finer wires rather than these large conductors.

I suspect these are probes that detect the impedance of the ink when it is
present in each of the manifold's ducts. My guess is that it's a go/no-go
indicator of whether the pump has failed or an ink supply is empty (although
I think there are other sensors to detect this in the cartridge) or a hose is
plugged up.

It looks a lot like MNOS more needlessly overcomplicated *crap* designed
into almost everything being made nowadays.

[WB]

Indeed, any technology in the hardware to boost HP's (and other
manufacturer's as well) bottom line from maximum ink sales.

Thanks for your reply.

Have you actually looked for the repair manual for that printer online?
I found the one for my Epson R200 without much problems.
All parts are listed...