Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default Is this an ink flow sensor? (Ink Jet printer)

On a sunny day (Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:26:53 -0600) it happened Gnack Nol
wrote in
:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:15:27 -0500, John Gilmer wrote:

trimmed:

I just printed out a test page in which the cartriges 20 digit serial
number is printed.

The software also knows have many cartiidges of each type it has used
and the number of drops of ink (of each color) for this set of ink
cartridges AND for the print heads.

Part of that "bloatware" seems to be to get you to spring for a new
cartridge when the software "decides" it should be low on ink rather
than waiting for the user to decide. That seems to be a wave of the
future. (Lexmart cartridges for newer printers also seem to be "smart."

Trimmed:

Were I not so lazy I would run experiments in which I would, for
example, switch "id chips" between a black cartridge and a color
cartridge. Or re-install the driver software to see whether the memory
of the old cartridges has been extinguished.

This is from the wonderful world of Epson it is so well known that you can
buy cartridge reset devices to reset the counter chips imbedded in their
cartidges. It looks like the new generation of these chips are using
serial numbers to keep you from being able to reset the chip.

An even dirtier anti consumer activity by Epson than they have done
prevously.

It sounds like the "Kodak" printer is actually an Epson in disguise since
thier sales are going away because of this.

It's a good reason to always aviod anything from Epson and spread the word
about them to kill all of their business as they deserve for this very
dirty anti consumer trick.

Forcing the throw away of up to half full cartridges is a real crime
aganst the customer!

Gnack

Bull, my Epson works great with
https://www.continuousink.com/home.html
the cartridges that come with it always report full :-)