Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Rotometals

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:12:09 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 04:38:35 +0000 (UTC), Przemek Klosowski
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:15:59 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

I doubt if there is a working Linotype machine in most states in the
country. I don't know of a single magazine that uses it for anything;
the last newspaper I knew of that used it was over 20 years ago.

There's one in the Baltimore Museum of Industry (geez, R.C.M content).
A retired guy who demonstrates it worked on it in a newspaper, and told
me that they replaced them in the 70s.

There's another in a Portland ME art press run by a guy named David
Wolfe. My daughter works for him occasionally in return for access to
his shop for her own projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZimWIe8sLA

Thanks, Ned. That was very interesting. I remember as a kid, going
to the back door of the local newspaper and watching the linotype
machines work. Boy was that NOISY! I also used to gather up pieces
of type and take them home and play with them. It never ceases to
amaze me how someone could sit down and design machines like that.

Jim