Posted to uk.d-i-y
ransley ransley is offline

Default Pinholes appearing in rads...

On Jan 27, 11:54*am, "Spamlet" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Jan 26, 1:27 pm, "spamlet" wrote:

Hi All: happy new year...

Over the last few months pin holes have started to appear in our ch
radiators - which are fairly old, but thought to have been well
maintained -
inhibitor in system etc.

The holes have appeared in 3 different rads. In the first two I was able
tap a screw and seal them, but now a third rad has developed a pin hole
but
in this case it is between the two leaves of a double rad, where I can't
get
at it.

I see that there are some rad sealing products which we could try: any to
look out for that are known to be good?

And, how do these sealing products get on with (are they compatible with)
inhibitor solutions: can we add both at the same time?

(There has been various plumbing work over the last year or so, and I am
not
sure of whether those who carried it out drained and/or replaced the
inhibitors.).

Cheers,

Ive succesfully use two park epoxy on my car radiadtor, its under 15lb
and 200f so it should work on a boiler radiator. Filling a system and
not firing it right away to remove oxygen leads to rust. A boiler
should never be drained -refilled and let sit all summer withouts days
of high firing. There are stop leak products but the metal is thin.

I've used epoxy - on the plastic parts of car rads at least - but have never
entirely trusted it in places that might lead to total loss if it began to
fail - for example in the small 'glove compartment' rads, that only come on
when selected.

Have you tried any of the leak stopping products?

cheers,
S- Hide quoted text -

I have gallons on hand for boilers , but I have never needed them, at
one location I have a 1,700,000 btu boiler. Here in the US we dont
drain down water boilers, if you do it must be fired right away to
remove the Oxygen, and fired for a long time, so its only a good time
to do it just before or during heating season. There are stop leak
products that are cheap, about as much as a cheap bottle of Whiskey or
a gallon of antifreeze, they work if the leak is small. But first
thing is keep the Pressure-Altitude of the water at the minimum needed
to get water to the highest radiator, I only need 15lb to go up 30ft
or 3 stories. www.heatinghelp.com is where US boiler pros are, post on
The Wall for better info, im just a owner not a repair tech, but my
radiators are near 90 years old. here we dont add treatments unless
its bad water, maybe your water has chemicals in it that are
corrosive. I know one boiler I have the install manual states if water
is corrosive or extremely high in mineral content Distilled water
should be used. High mineral content leads to scale and popping that
reduces efficency and might ruin a boiler eventualy. Big systems are
monitored. try www.heatinghelp.com