Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Gasoline in Home Heating Oil - Bad?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Jan 25, 10:45*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:44:57 -0800 (PST), hibb
wrote:

On Jan 25, 9:35*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
OK...this may sound weird, but I had a dream last night...

A friend pulled up at my house with his pickup truck towing a tank
of home heating oil. He said he needed some gas for his pickup. I
went into the backyard and grabbed the gas can I use for my lawn
mower and brought it up front. Instead of pouring the gas into his
truck, I poured about a gallon into the oil tank.

It wasn't my fault, the cap on the oil tank was open.

2 questions:

1 - How bad would it be to have a gallon of gas mixed with, I
don't know, let's say 100 gallons of home heating oil?

I don't know how bad that would be but It would still make me
uncomfortable.

Many years ago my father-in-law bought one of those Olds 98 diesel
cars they were making in the late 1970's. After he drove the hell
out of it and replaced the engine a couple of times, we bought it
from him and drove it a couple of years. During the winter when it
was real cold, we had a lot of trouble getting it to start and stay
running because the cold diesel fuel would be so thick. I remember
we would put something in the fuel to thin it out but I don't
remember what. I think it was kerosene tho not gasoline.

2 - What does this dream mean?

You have gas.

I knew a guy when I was up in the frozen north who put a squirt of
gasoline in his diesel car in the winter so it would start. It never
blew up.- Hide quoted text -

When I was *way* up in the frozen north - Port Clarence, AK - we
either left the diesels running or plugged in the block heater.

When I put gasoline in my sister's Peugeot (Holland) it ran fine but
only for a short while. Then it stopped. I could coast into a gas
station, call the ANWB (Dutch AAA), and the guy came, pumped out the
gas, filled it with diesel, towed the car until I got it sputtering and
going, then drove it about 30 miles to join the funeral procession of my
Dad's. Afterward my suster said the car never ran so well.

Oh yes, I had to pick up my daughter from Schiphol and did my sister the
favor of filling up the car.

--
Best regards
Han