Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default DANGER! Gun question .....

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:24:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:40:19 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

I have currently made investigation, and there is a $20 bounty in my state
for the coyote's ears. I am researching how much furriers pay for hides.

Steve

Head shots ONLY. Doesnt mess up the ears much, and bounty doesnt care.
Hides with holes in them dont pay well.

Back when I ran trap lines I dispatched the more dangerous animals with a
.22 CB short to the brain case. Quick kill, no exit wound, small hole, and
on most hides only took 1 stitch to look good on the stretcher. For the few
I shot on the run it was usually at medium range with BB shot out of a
shotgun. You could hardly even see the holes. Never had a good long range
gun back then. Most of the callers favor a 22-250, but I couldn't afford
one when I was living off my trap line. The reason I used a shotgun was
because I carried one all the time while running my lines to shoot rabbits,
and birds in season. Kept 1 round of BB shot in the chamber for varmints.
Amazing how fast I could jack that out and pop a rabbit on the run. I
discovered though that most desert bunnies pause when they get the edge of a
bush between you and them. Gives you nearly an extra 1/2 second of shooting
time.

One deer season, Dad decided that my W-94, 30-30 was lighter to carry
than his .303 Savage. On following a mink track to a beaver dam, he
signaled me to whistle and, thinking that the shorter barrel would
shoot high at close range, aimed slightly lower. I had a 2" cut to sew
up between the mink's ears but we still got $17 for the pelt.
Next day, I took a short side trip without my rifle. Standing on a
rock at the head of a small marsh, I stopped an 8 point Buck five
times while he crossed the marsh within 100 yards of me, by the fourth
time I had to yell at him to stop. It must have taken him five minutes
to get across.
I still have the 2 pound axes we used to carry, and use them quite
often when bundling brush for pickup by the city.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada