Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DANGER! Gun question .....

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:19:38 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

The .22 Hornet will drive tacks out to 125 yards, and it's a decent
groundhog gun out to 150 or a little more, if you're used to the
ballistics. At normal squirrel-hunting ranges you should be able to make
a head shot nearly every time.

At "normal" squirrel hunting ranges you should be able to drop them with
any decent pellet gun from when I was a kid. With today's 1000 fps +
spring piston guns it's a gimme. I killed plenty of ground squirrels and
gophers for the 50¢ bounty with my old Daisy 880 just using regular old
BBs. 10 pumps and let fly. If you was rich enough to have an actual
.22
you was the king of bounty hunting. In fact I paid for my first .22
rifle
shooting gophers. Was a lot faster than trapping them and a lot more
fun.

Once, when I was very young (10 YO), I was visiting the neighbors, and I
saw the dad, with his .22, take two squirrels out of trees, plus a rabbit
running through the brush. I mean, it was on the RUN! and he got it in
two shots.

I was amazed. I also watched him skin them and gut them, but they didn't
invite me for dinner. )-;

Cheers!
Rich

I am tempted to try some of the rock squirrels I get around here. I lived
in Texas and Louisiana, and these critters are much bigger! I did eat them
there, and may try these, as my neighbor has shot 100 this year. It's a
friggin war around here. They are brazen, and a organized gang will come in
and strip fruit trees in a night. They are jumpy, too, and when they see a
human, it's sayonara time. Gonna build a stand next to my canyon, and see
if I can get some. Will build another stand up on my property, where we
have lots of coyotes. We get them fifty feet from the house, necessitating
keeping all cats and dogs in after dusk or thereabouts. I've seen them in
broad daylight in the front yard. Need to go see what the bounty is on
coyotes. Was $35. At that rate, I could make a few bucks!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
[...]

We currently have a crop of hand fed fat cottontails. Fed Purina Rabbit
chow, we have watched these little furballs become adults. I don't like
harvesting things that come in the yard, but I surely get tempted by these
large fat cottontails. I won't even talk about the quail. I'm darn sure
going to try the next large squirrel, and weigh it to see if it is larger
than its Texas and Louisiana cousins.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Sat, 19 Sep
2009 08:04:27 -0400, Wes, wrote:

Minute of whitetail is all some hunters care about.

http://wizard.dyndns.org/2009.09.17-deer.cs.jpg

You should see the shot that got away. sigh

--
??

Those look more like muleys than whitetails . Where was that pic taken ?

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

Minute of whitetail is all some hunters care about.

http://wizard.dyndns.org/2009.09.17-deer.cs.jpg

You should see the shot that got away. sigh

Should have spent more time aiming rifle than pointing camera

BTW, what kind of deer are those? Are those the gay looking prancing things I saw
bicycling though Texas?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:31:20 -0500, "SnA Higgins"
wrote:

Deer on bicycles? In loud clothing and high heeled shoes?

Once, in Africa, I shot an elephant in my pajamas.

How did the elephant get in your pajamas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

How did the elephant get in your pajamas?

I've woke up with an elephant in my pj's but that was before the BP medication.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 6:08*pm, Wes wrote:
BTW, what kind of deer are those? *Are those the gay looking prancing things I saw
bicycling though Texas?

Wes
--

Sorry, Wes, but I have to ask - were they prancing or bicycling? I've
tried to imagine a deer prancing and bicycling, but it just won't come

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:

Minute of whitetail is all some hunters care about.

http://wizard.dyndns.org/2009.09.17-deer.cs.jpg

You should see the shot that got away. sigh

Should have spent more time aiming rifle than pointing camera

BTW, what kind of deer are those? Are those the gay looking prancing things I saw
bicycling though Texas?

If you were on Lower Greenville Ave in Dallas, then no, those were a
different breed of cat!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

FWIW, which is about nothing g, there's no gun I can think of that
interests me less than a semiauto .22 centerfire with mediocre accuracy.
It's the worst of all worlds unless you have a very specific use for it, and
those uses interest me even less than the guns.

Who was it said "Only accurate rifles are interesting" ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

FWIW, which is about nothing g, there's no gun I can think of that
interests me less than a semiauto .22 centerfire with mediocre accuracy.
It's the worst of all worlds unless you have a very specific use for it,
and those uses interest me even less than the guns.

Who was it said "Only accurate rifles are interesting" ?

Da' Colonel. And I agree. (And I like Whelen straps, too.)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:56:50 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

FWIW, which is about nothing g, there's no gun I can think of that
interests me less than a semiauto .22 centerfire with mediocre accuracy.
It's the worst of all worlds unless you have a very specific use for it,
and those uses interest me even less than the guns.

Who was it said "Only accurate rifles are interesting" ?

People who like to be able to hit their target consistently?

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:58:09 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
scribed:

"SteveB" wrote in message
For a coyote gun, I'm considering a 22/250. I like the Savage Model 12.
Should I consider other calibers, or is this a good choice?

Steve

I used to trap professionally, (two winters before the price crash at the
end of the 80s) but never seemed to have enough money for a good rifle. I
did however read The Trapper and Predator Caller magazine for several years,
and a good quality 22-250 seemed to be the rifle of choice by all the
callers writing articles for them. If you are in circumstance where you
might get multiple targets in rapid succession the usual preference
according to my gunsmith buddy is to glass bed the chamber (thick part of
the barrel) and action and float the barrel.

I had a Ruger mini-14 and it sucked. I never did figure out how to zero it
in until years after I sold it. It did however do a pretty good job of
dropping them if I could hit them.

1912 Stevens .22 Comp rifle. 5 round clip, bolt action. Pretty sure it
takes .22 LR. It is scoped out and ready for deployment. The most
accurate rifle I have ever had. Heavy MF though.

Phred

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj jj is offline

"SteveB" wrote:
For a coyote gun, I'm considering a 22/250. I like the Savage Model 12.
Should I consider other calibers, or is this a good choice?
Steve

I ended up with a Ruger 77 in .308 that came stock with 2 forearm
swivels and a Harris bipod that attaches to one of them.

Main reason I went with .308 - two of em, I didn't want a zillion
calibers in the house and .308 ammo was cheaper than .22-250.

If I reloaded I probably would have swayed - I might start reloading
in a few years.

BTW I am amused that RCM is the new rec.guns.

Also, I would like to ask roughly what would be the maximum varmit
range for "production" ammo in .223 and .22-250?

jj, who just realized he does not have a bolt action .223

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jj" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote:
For a coyote gun, I'm considering a 22/250. I like the Savage Model 12.
Should I consider other calibers, or is this a good choice?
Steve

I ended up with a Ruger 77 in .308 that came stock with 2 forearm
swivels and a Harris bipod that attaches to one of them.

Main reason I went with .308 - two of em, I didn't want a zillion
calibers in the house and .308 ammo was cheaper than .22-250.

If I reloaded I probably would have swayed - I might start reloading
in a few years.

BTW I am amused that RCM is the new rec.guns.

Also, I would like to ask roughly what would be the maximum varmit
range for "production" ammo in .223 and .22-250?

That's a question that could generate a lot of discussion. Notice that no
one has dipped his toe into it yet.

I'm not going to try to answer it in any depth but you may be able to answer
it for yourself, to your own satisfaction. Take a look at these links,
particularly the first two. Chuck Hawk's description of the terms is
succinct and excellent:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballist...remington.html

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October01.htm

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...bles_Rifle.pdf

Also, Remington has some good calculators and you can get their ballistics
software to help you further.

Hawk's "maximum point-blank range" calculations for those cartridges, and
for other varmint cartridges, are based on +/- 1.5", rather than the 3.0"
used for deer rifles. This makes sense.

However, there are two things that aren't discussed here. Guns for varmint
cartridges are made in a wide range of twist rates (see the link above that
lists them), and a slow twist (1:12, say) versus a fast twist (1:7) will
limit the bullet weights you can shoot in that gun. And if you have a gun
that's really made for shooting light varmint bullets (slow twist), two
other factors come into play: First, the bullets shoot flat until you reach
their practical range, at which point they fall off quickly. And second,
when those bullets lose velocity they also lose accuracy. They're spinning
too slowly out at their maximum range.

So there are several factors that influence the answer to your question. If
you're satisfied with production ammo and MPBR, the ballistics described in
those tables will give you a good idea of what you're getting into. If you
get the varmint-rifle bug and start fooling around with different bullets,
and choosing your rifle near the ends of the twist-rate range, you'll find,
if you stay near the light-bullet end, that the real practical range for
*your* rifle can be different than those MPBR figures indicate. And with
light bullets in a real varmint gun, the range limit starts looking like a
brick wall.

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one warned
you. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

jj, who just realized he does not have a bolt action .223

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

There may be, but it's not on the coyote. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:16:35 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

Depends on what he ate last and how long ago.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

I have currently made investigation, and there is a $20 bounty in my state
for the coyote's ears. I am researching how much furriers pay for hides.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:04:27 -0400, Wes wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I've heard some people like you say they like theirs and plenty like myself
who could never do very well with theirs. Most of the time I only hear
people tell how good "theirs" is when somebody tells about what a horrible
experience they had with their own. They can't all suck or they wouldn't
keep selling them. I traded mine for a computer hard drive about 16-17
years ago.

Lever action rifles sell well too. Not a type of rifle that is intrinsically capable of
shooting ragged one hole groups at 100 yards. It all boils down to the ability and needs
of the shooter.

Minute of whitetail is all some hunters care about.

Wes

Lever guns may...or may not sell well in the West. Shrug. Longer range
bolt guns are far far more popular.

Want a Poor Mans varmint lever gun? Marlin 3030 with a 125gr bullet.
Virtually everyone Ive ever fired would shoot well under .6" for 5
rounds, with a bit of tinkering with the loadings.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:40:19 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

I have currently made investigation, and there is a $20 bounty in my state
for the coyote's ears. I am researching how much furriers pay for hides.

Steve

Head shots ONLY. Doesnt mess up the ears much, and bounty doesnt care.
Hides with holes in them dont pay well.

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The advantage with the 223, it's close to the military
caliber. So, you can use military ball ammo when the
commercial stuff runs dry. Mil spec stuff might be cheaper
for paper punching when you don't need expansion.

Other than that, I'd guess it's a good caliber.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveB" wrote in message
For a coyote gun, I'm considering a 22/250. I like the
Savage Model 12.
Should I consider other calibers, or is this a good choice?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:40:19 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

Have fun. If you get bitten by the varmint-gun bug, don't say no one
warned you. d8-)

When you take down a coyote, is there any edible meat?

Thanks,
Rich

I have currently made investigation, and there is a $20 bounty in my state
for the coyote's ears. I am researching how much furriers pay for hides.

Steve

Head shots ONLY. Doesnt mess up the ears much, and bounty doesnt care.
Hides with holes in them dont pay well.

Back when I ran trap lines I dispatched the more dangerous animals with a
..22 CB short to the brain case. Quick kill, no exit wound, small hole, and
on most hides only took 1 stitch to look good on the stretcher. For the few
I shot on the run it was usually at medium range with BB shot out of a
shotgun. You could hardly even see the holes. Never had a good long range
gun back then. Most of the callers favor a 22-250, but I couldn't afford
one when I was living off my trap line. The reason I used a shotgun was
because I carried one all the time while running my lines to shoot rabbits,
and birds in season. Kept 1 round of BB shot in the chamber for varmints.
Amazing how fast I could jack that out and pop a rabbit on the run. I
discovered though that most desert bunnies pause when they get the edge of a
bush between you and them. Gives you nearly an extra 1/2 second of shooting
time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:26 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

We got a BUNCH of coyotes around here. I need to check into this.

Steve XXtreme SW Utah

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:24:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
[...]

One deer season, Dad decided that my W-94, 30-30 was lighter to carry
than his .303 Savage. On following a mink track to a beaver dam, he
signaled me to whistle and, thinking that the shorter barrel would
shoot high at close range, aimed slightly lower. I had a 2" cut to sew
up between the mink's ears but we still got $17 for the pelt.
Next day, I took a short side trip without my rifle. Standing on a
rock at the head of a small marsh, I stopped an 8 point Buck five
times while he crossed the marsh within 100 yards of me, by the fourth
time I had to yell at him to stop. It must have taken him five minutes
to get across.
I still have the 2 pound axes we used to carry, and use them quite
often when bundling brush for pickup by the city.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
[...]

A 3030 with a 110gr cast bullet works pretty well on most coyotes as
well.

So does a 38/357 with a hollow based wadcutter loaded backwards. Thats
what I used for finishing shots when I was tending a guys trotline for a
few years. Load it backwards..about 500 FPS and shoot em in the side of
the head. Doesnt come out the other side and drops em like a rock.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Electricity danger? Hobbyist Home Repair 13 February 28th 09 04:30 AM
Help Question: Electronic stethoscope danger WJW Electronics Repair 17 September 12th 08 05:07 AM
Old television danger? Oren Home Repair 35 September 26th 07 12:15 PM
Is my house at danger? Kim Home Ownership 56 November 6th 05 07:40 PM
DANGER: RADON Yeung Fun Ho Home Repair 29 July 19th 05 02:01 AM