Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum???

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:31:46 -0500, KG wrote:

Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum?

Yes. C) All of the above.

A little bit of this is healthy, but as usual there are a few in every
bunch who "don't play well with others."

Unfortunately, there are some people who simply can't keep their
political spew from invading other places, or people who can be both
useful, then infuriating, then right back to useful in the course of
thirty seconds...

You need to filter it out yourself, and you have the tools available
to do it and make this a nice place to hang out.

You are using Agent 3.3 - get with the program and upgrade, you have
Sub-thread level Ignore Thread filtering available in Agent 5 and
later.

Ignore Sub-thread is wonderful, especially for the "bipolar" people
mentioned above. When the thread devolves from useful information and
into politics, you can go to the instigator and hit "Ignore
Sub-thread" and everything past that point goes away.

Then fill up your Kill Filters with people you never see making any
useful positive and informative posts, and who insist on crossposting
to the Survivalist and Kooks groups, or into the Chevy and Ford groups
at the same time to start a flame war - view the headers and it's easy
to see who the real instigators are, they added the crossposts.

I Prefer to use the "Mark As Read" option, just in case they did say
something useful you have it cached locally and can go back and read
it later. Some people like to set short expiry dates on their posts
and set the "X-No-Archive" header flag, trying to keep the insults
they hurled today from coming back to haunt them later...

Doesn't work very well, but they still try.

The "Expire this filter after 30- 60 - 90 days" option can be used as
a temporary "Time Out". Or if they keep popping back up like
clockwork, blank out the field and make it permanent.

I find 70% of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to metal working.
Thank You

Hell, I'd be HAPPY if we could get it down to only 70%. ;-)

-- Bruce --