Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Moffett[_2_] Ken Moffett[_2_] is offline

Default Review of the Dust Deputy Cyclone

GarageWoodworks wrote in
legro
ups.com:

I recently reviewed the Dust Deputy DIY (Cyclone Only) and
was very pleased with the results. For those of you (like
me) with a small shop that relies on a shop-vac for saw
dust clean-up and extraction this thing is a must.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dust_Deputy.php

NO AFFILIATION YADA YADA YADA!! Just a very happy
end-user.

Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com

I'm a little late to this, but I wanted to share some
modifications to the Dust Deputy bucket setup.

Pictures are posted over on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

1. Rather than glue the cyclonic separator to the lid with
silicone sealer, per instructions, I made a foam gasket.
Easier to move to a new container in the future, if I need
to.

2. The rigid latching edges on the lid's rim make it very
hard to get the lid off to empty the bucket. I cut away the
latches on the outer lip. Since the latches also hold the o-
ring in place, I used spots of silicone sealer under it to
hold it in place.

3. With the lid latches removed the lid can just pop
off...and that's a good thing. I made three small clips out
of strips of aluminum. They hook over the lid's rim and catch
under one of the buckets annular ribs.

4. I wanted to make disposing of the saw dust easy, so I used
garbage bags to line the bucket. Since the vacuum would suck
the bag into the separator, I added a plywood weight, with
finger holes, to hold the bag down and open.

5. I can't believe how well that seperator setup works. I use
a ShopVac with the accourdian paper filter. It would plug
very quickly with fine saw dust. With the Dust Deputy I was
able to fill the bucket 2/3s full and had only a miniscule
amount of sawdusw in the ShopVac.

Ken