A K

Default Electrics and Expandable foam

I have a house that is 1 year old. In the lounge I have 2 bog
standard ceiling pendants. I have bought some new light fittings and
got an electrician to come and fit them (yes I am a hopeless girlie
when it comes to DIY!). When he unscrewed the pendants he had found
that the hole had been filled completely with expandable foam
together with all the wires. he said that it would be a whole days
job to do the lights as he would need to get all the foam off the
wired and would then need to test to make sure he hadn't damaged
them.

he told me that I should contact the builder and ask him to sort it
out as this was not up to NHBC standard, apparently some unscrupulous
builders get their electricians to do this to secure the fitting when
there is not a joist present to screw the fitting to. He said that
NHBC will make them lift the bedroom floor and put a joist in!

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I am concern if having the
wiring coated and encapsulated in this stuff is a fire hazard.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Angela