Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Rotometals

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Look for Linotype, it makes brilliant bullets. Check with newspaper
printers and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you
won't regret it. The bullets will typically cast about 8% lighter than
pure lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks
and not cause barrel leading. If I remember correctly, lead is around 9
or 10 on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29,
which is considerably harder. Linotype bullets are much better
penetrators and do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets
do. Don't ask how I know that.
Steve

I've been out of the printing biz for a decade or two, but does anyone
use Linotype anymore? Certainly no newspaper I knew of 20 years ago did,
they all use offset web presses with AL plates. The only place using
Linotype back then was a tiny shop that mostly did numbering and other
specialty stuff.

I doubt if there is a working Linotype machine in most states in the
country. I don't know of a single magazine that uses it for anything; the
last newspaper I knew of that used it was over 20 years ago.

The offset and rotogravure presses had plates that were burned from
hard-type originals for a long while, so Linotype was still around, to make
the "hot type" masters. But that's all been converted to "cold type" --
computer-generated galleys. And now, most volume printing is done without
any galleys at all. It's "direct to plate" computer imaging.

If someone still has a source of Linotype metal, I'd like to know where it's
coming from.

--
Ed Huntress