Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default No new lathe for me!

Buerste wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:15:12 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as
I would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the
'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we
need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new
die work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

But...but...but I thought you were the Boss?

Gunner

I can't justify it to myself either.

Just finished casting 15 pounds of 148gr DEWC in less than an hour and
not a single bad one! Those 6-pack Lee moulds work GREAT! I'll start
2.5gr to 3.6 never exceed. Do you have any other data on 700X? I can't
find a 9mm 124gr SWC load using 700X.

Why are you using that powder? The age old formula for using the hollow
base 148 grain wadcutters was 2.7 grains of Bullseye. You can use a bit
more for the DEWC. But why use 700X? I've reloaded for a long time and
have never used it myself. By the way, I just finished loading some .38
spl with DEWC bullets about an hour ago. But the powder I use is
Hodgedon's Titegroup. Good stuff, and cheap too, only about 16 or 17
bucks a pound. I use 3.5 grains in my .38 spl. loading and it's accurate
and pretty clean too. But if you want the good stuff try the Vihtavuori
powder. It's pricey but it's the cleanest powder you can get.

Hawke