Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No new lathe for me!

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as I would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the 'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new die work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:15:12 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as I would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the 'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new die work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

But...but...but I thought you were the Boss?

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as I
would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the
'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new die
work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

But...but...but I thought you were the Boss?

Gunner

I can't justify it to myself either.

Just finished casting 15 pounds of 148gr DEWC in less than an hour and not a
single bad one! Those 6-pack Lee moulds work GREAT! I'll start loading
them with 700X and work a new load for my S&W 19 starting at 2.5gr to 3.6
never exceed. Do you have any other data on 700X? I can't find a 9mm 124gr
SWC load using 700X.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:35:16 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Ill hunt around a bit in a few minutes. Have you seen this yet? Works
quite well.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as I would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the 'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new die work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

But...but...but I thought you were the Boss?

So did Buerste! ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell"
on or about Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:22:46
-0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:

wrote:

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as I would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the 'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new die work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

But...but...but I thought you were the Boss?

So did Buerste! ;-)

LOL. I have a cartoon "I work for myself. But the boss is a
jerk, and I'd quit if I didn't think the place would close if I left."
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I still haven't moved out my oldest lathe but it's been decided not to
replace it. Bummer! We just can't justify another lathe as much as I would
love a gleaming, high-precision iron masterpiece with all the 'kootermints.
I have a Reed-Prentice that is a sweetie and can do everything we need and
more. The floorspace where the old lathe is will be used for a new die work
table and a pedestal brush/felt wheel.

But...but...but I thought you were the Boss?

So did Buerste! ;-)

LOL. I have a cartoon "I work for myself. But the boss is a
jerk, and I'd quit if I didn't think the place would close if I left."

You have to cut Buerste some slack. It can't be easy being a butch
lesbian, in a small town like Cleveland. ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
I think the powder is too fast. (Too little powder, too much space)
(inconsistent burn) Think Blue Dot. It is very consistent in 9mm. If you
are thinking about unjacketed bullets in standard 9mm barrels, the 1 to 10
twist is too fast without using lino-type to prevent leading of the barrel.
I suggest rebarrelling to 1 in 16 and then lead works fine. Been there and
done that.
Steve

I did see loads for 700x in 9mm. I do have some hard lead, I do have other
powders but I have a LOT of 700x. Rebarreling isn't a wallet option.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why are you using that powder? The age old formula for using the hollow
base 148 grain wadcutters was 2.7 grains of Bullseye. You can use a bit
more for the DEWC. But why use 700X? I've reloaded for a long time and
have never used it myself. By the way, I just finished loading some .38
spl with DEWC bullets about an hour ago. But the powder I use is
Hodgedon's Titegroup. Good stuff, and cheap too, only about 16 or 17
bucks a pound. I use 3.5 grains in my .38 spl. loading and it's accurate
and pretty clean too. But if you want the good stuff try the Vihtavuori
powder. It's pricey but it's the cleanest powder you can get.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That 700-X has nearly the same burn rate as Bullseye makes it pretty good
for mid-range target rounds. I happen to use it in some pistol rounds
because I have a couple rather large containers of the stuff for shotguns,
and it is convenient if I don't have to buy another brand/type of powder.
When you buy it in 4 and 8 lb kegs, the price per pound is a lot lower.
Which translates to cheaper shooting, for me.

Flash

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good powders, all. I picked up two eight pound kegs of 700X for $75 from a
guy that bought-out the inventory from a gun shop. All the popular powders
(and other stuff) were already gone. I knew 700x was good for shotgun and
pistol so I figured at that price I could work good target loads. I meters
well but I like more volumous powders. I like Vihtavuori powders but they
are pricey and hard to find locally. ANY powder is hard to find local and
mail order has the hazmat fee. I did find 10k Wolf primers. They seem fine
but some people think they are hard and large. I've had no issue at all.

I find that powders burn clean or dirty according to the load, bullet and
barrel used. The 700X is fast like Bullseye and is clean in my Mod. 19 6"
bbl., I have yet to try it in my 442.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:46:44 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I tend to stay away from small charge powders. Too easy to get a double
charge in the case and even after inspection..miss it. But if it works
for you and you get good accuracy and are comfortable with it..go for
it!!

Ive got a few pounds of 700x and 800x but I seldom use them. I think it
was part of an estate sale some years ago that I bought out.

The pistol powder I use the most is Unique, followed by humm....either
Red Dot or 2400. Those I keep a fair amount on hand. I just turned the
lights on in the reloading shop and did a quick inventory..I think Ive
got 8 different pistol powders on the shelves, many of which are
specialty powders...Blue Dot, etc etc

The only problem with Unique..and they have reformulated it..was a
slightly larger than normal muzzle flash at night. The stuff made in the
last 10 or so years is pretty good about not flashing all that much.

But thats why there are so many powders out there. Choice! Choice is
Good!!! There are at least 10 different rifle powders out there
too...shrug.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It's impossible to get a double charge on my Lee Loadmaster press unless you
do it on purpose, and even that's hard to do. The engineering on that press
is absolute genius! BUT...it's not Bubba-proof! Keep it clean, lubricated
and DON'T force it, even a little, and it'll produce high-quality,
consistent, precision ammo. The powder measure throws charges within a
tenth, my OAL is within a thou., I haven't misfed a single primer. There
are a lot of plastic parts that will crush, break or deform if even slightly
abused. I went over every single part and deburred, polished, lubed and
adjusted everything. I runs smooth as silk! Rather than Bubba-crank the
handle, I go slow, watch everything and I can still make 100 in 10 minutes.
I can change caliber in less than a minute, all the dies and powder measure
are mounted on a replaceable turret plate and the shell plate has one
knurled nut holding it in. Two minutes more to change primer size.