Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Rotometals

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Look for Linotype, it makes brilliant bullets. Check with newspaper printers and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you
won't regret it. The bullets will typically cast about 8% lighter than pure lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks
and not cause barrel leading. If I remember correctly, lead is around 9 or 10 on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29,
which is considerably harder. Linotype bullets are much better penetrators and do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets
do. Don't ask how I know that.
Steve

I've been out of the printing biz for a decade or two, but does anyone
use Linotype anymore? Certainly no newspaper I knew of 20 years ago did,
they all use offset web presses with AL plates. The only place using
Linotype back then was a tiny shop that mostly did numbering and other
specialty stuff.