Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Ice road truckers

In message
,
JimK writes
On Jan 20, 1:01 pm, Bill wrote:
In message
, JimK
writes

ah you need an old Petter PH1 air cooled single cylinder diesel, runs
for weeks on a gallon of the cruddiest disel you can imagine - mind you
0-60mph might be a while coming up tho....

Ah a psychic at work. Had an air cooled single cyl Petter in the boat,
followed by a water cooled one. Super little mend it yourself engines,
all parts available, the water cooled one used standard plumbing parts.
In the search for more power, tracked down and spoke to the Petter's
designer, lovely, very helpful man, disgruntled that the legacy and
market had been thrown away in the Lister (Hawker Siddeley?) takeover.

Sadly, we are now on a 2-cyl Mitsubishi.

Who needs speed?
--
Bill

aha - don't suppose you know of a decent Newage gearbox resource ?
workshop manual, spares at reasonable prices etc? just a thought
cheers
JimK

I don't think I'll be much help.
The air cooled engine had a centrifugal clutch and no gearbox. I
replaced it because I became worried about the large exposed heavy
clutch rotating at speed near the bottom of the boat.
I rebuilt the water cooled Petter. The engine parts - piston, valves
etc. came off the shelves of a vehicle engine repairer in Liverpool -
and were standard parts. The designer told me that the gearbox that came
with the engine was sourced by Petter from America and that losses in
the gearbox were the reason for the relatively poor performance of that
engine.
Some of the delicate copper pipework was from a medical supply house,
and the galvanised plumbing for water cooled exhaust was from B&Q or
equivalent.
My local marine engine supplier was never cheap and has recently
vanished from the scene.
I've had to buy some heat exchanger parts recently for the
Vetus/Mitsubishi and had to pay over twice what I paid for the engine +
Hurth gearbox for just one small casting.

The failed projects in the shed include the Reliant Robin gearbox marine
conversion I never did, the FNR gearbox from a tipper truck and a
slightly bent gearbox from a Morris Commander marine engine. I really
must put some of this junk on ebay or freecycle. I often wonder how the
freecycle guy is getting on with the "build one good one" 2 Enfield air
cooled diesels I gave him......
--
Bill