Posted to alt.home.repair
MiamiCuse MiamiCuse is offline

Default At what point do you go from "furring a wall" to "building awall"?

On Jan 19, 9:28*am, terry wrote:
On Jan 19, 11:12*am, HerHusband wrote:

Along my concrete block walls, I have 1/2" furring strips every 16",
then sheetrocks are attached to the furring strips. *The furring
strips make it possible for 1/2" electrical conduits and copper pipes
to run across or up and down the walls.
In some cases I have 3/4" pipes or electrical conduits, so I go with
3/4" furring strips.
In some cases in a shower area, I have shower valves that sticks out
further and it needs 1.5" of space. *Now, I can attach 2x2 or 2x4
turned on it's face to the concrete wall and furr it out this way. *Or
may be at 1.5" I might as well build a real wall butt up against the
concrete wall, with it's own top and bottom plates.
At what depth do you think it crosses the threshold form using furring
strips to a real wall?

I would consider anything up to 1X material to be furring. *Once I have
bought a 2x4, I might as well turn it on edge and use it as actual studs. *
You'll have more room for pipes, wires, etc., and can add more insulation
if needed.

Also, I would be a little concerned about piercing wires and pipes run in a
3/4" or less furred space when hanging drywall, a picture, shelves, etc.. *
In a normal stud wall the wires/pipes are set back far enough that a 1-
1/2" screw wouldn't reach them, or you install metal protector plates if
they are close to the face of the stud. Just something to think about.

Anthony

Must be a climate zone with no chance of freezing through the
'outside' concret block wall?
Here we would not put water pipes in close proximity to a cold outside
wall, unless that wall was several feet below ground.
Also if the living are is heated any chance of condensation on the
cool block wall behind the sheetrock?

I am in south Florida so freezing is not a concern, I do have a
fireplace but have never used it, but the last arctic blast we had
this month did go down to 34 degrees and it was cold so we did have
the heat on for about two days, first time we turned it on in three
years.

Yes I am installing metal protector in front of all pipes and
conduits.

Thanks